How do I migrate indexed files to a format that is supported by isCOBOL?
I have indexed files from my legacy application and want to migrate them to either isCOBOL JISAM or c-treeRTG. What are my options for doing this?
There are two basic ways to migrate files to an isCOBOL ISAM file format such as isCOBOL JISAM or c-treeRTG.
- Use a utility provided with the original ISAM file system to dump all of the records into a binary sequential file, and then use the corresponding utility from the target ISAM file system to load those records into an empty file. This method is known as "Unload/Load".
- Use the isCOBOL ISMIGRATE utility or run a COBOL program that reads records from the original ISAM file and writes them out to the target ISAM file.
First Method - Unload/Load
Here are the instructions for using the unload/load method to migrate for example a Vision file to isCOBOL JISAM:
- Run a program that creates an empty file in JISAM format. Just set iscobol.file.index=jisam and then OPEN OUTPUT and CLOSE the file.
- Unload the records from the Vision file into a binary sequential file
- Load the records from the binary sequential file into JISAM file
java JUTIL -load
- Run a program to create the empty JISAM file:Run
select jisamfile assign to "jisamfile"
record key jisamfile-key.
03 jisamfile-key pic 9(5).
03 jisamfile-data pic x(100).
set environment "file.index" to "jisam".
open output jisamfile.
vutil32 -unload visionfile seqfile
java JUTIL -load jisamfile seqfile
When you run vutil and JUTIL specify the ISAM file name without the extensions added by the file system (e.g. visionfile instead of visionfile.vix).
For further information see the documentation for vutil in the Acucorp docs and for JUTIL in the isCOBOL docs (User Guide : Utilities : JUTIL).
Second Method - ISMIGRATE
The ISMIGRATE utility can migrate files from and to any of the following file systems: isCOBOL JISAM, c-treeRTG, Acucorp's Vision and others.
The steps to run ISMIGRATE in background mode to migrate a Vision file to isCOBOL JISAM are as follows:
- Create an ismigrate.properties text file and copy/paste the following in it:
java -Discobol.conf=ismigrate.properties ISMIGRATE visionfile outputdirectory
- If you prefer, you can run ISMIGRATE without parameters, so the wizard interface appears and you need to set the correct input file index type:
"ACUCOBOL Vision (com.iscobol.io.ScanVision)" for Vision
"RM/COBOL (com.iscobol.io.ScanRMKF)" for RM files
"Micro Focus (com.iscobol.io.ScanMF)" from MF files
For further information on ISMIGRATE please review the documentation in the isCOBOL SDK User Guide.
Migrating to c-treeRTG
If you need to migrate to c-tree, the same instructions apply except for the following:
- Set iscobol.file.index to ctreej
In the COBOL program that creates the empty file
set environment "file.index" to "ctreej".
- Instead of JUTIL, use ctutil as follows:
ctutil -load /datadirectory/ctreefile seqfile -b
Note: Unless configured otherwise, ctreeRTG uses the directory where the server (ctreesql) was started as the data directory. Paths are relative to that directory. If you get errors running ctutil, then try specifying the c-tree filename using an absolute path, but still without the file extension.
- Set the iscobol.ismigrate_output_file_index to ctree in the ismigrate.properties file
If running ISMIGRATE with the wizard interface, choose "c-tree RTG - Java Interface (ctreej)" in the destination indexed file type.
by: Veryant Support
This question has been viewed 20800 times so far.
Here to View all the questions in isCOBOL General
|There are no attachment file(s) related to this question.
| User Comments
|There are no user comments for this question. Be the first to post a comment. Click Here
| Related Questions
- How do I compile for compatibility with older versions of Java?
- When can I get the "java.net.SocketException: Permission denied:connect" message? And how can it be avoided?
- How do I resolve "code too large for try statement" errors?
- How do I prevent hackers from decompiling Java class files to reverse engineer my COBOL application?
- How can I read an Excel spreadsheet from COBOL?
- Does SET ADDRESS OF X TO Y work?
- What Micro Focus library routines are supported?
- How do I create a desktop shortcut icon to launch my program?
- Do I need to worry about the compile warning "Note: MYPROG.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations?"
- What tools are available for automated functional (regression) testing of a COBOL application?
- Did you know you can create temporary files in memory?
- Where can I obtain a copy of the ANSI 2002 COBOL standard?
- Is there currently a way to debug COBOL and Java source together?
- How do I increase the maximum Java heap size when compiling?
- How do I turn on debug trace to produce a log file?
- How do I determine what properties are set?
- Should I use JISAM or Veryant's c-treeRTG?
- How would I create my own CBL_ALLOC_MEM and CBL_FREE_MEM routines?
- Why do I get a compile error "--S: Invalid open mode" on an OPEN I-O of an ORGANIZATION LINE SEQUENTIAL file?
- What is the best way to control Microsoft Word?
- How can I use the F10 key in my application without it changing the keyboard focus?
- How do I use conditional compilation?
- How do I specify properties or a properties file on the command line?
- Where can I find more information on A$ENCRYPT and A$DECRYPT?
- How do I change the icon in the upper left corner of the Window?
- Does isCOBOL work with Flexus COBOL sp2?
- How does a program detect at runtime whether it is running standalone GUI, thin client or with Web Direct 2.0?
- What is the behavior difference of STOP THREAD?
- What are the defaults for the DATE-ENTRY control DISPLAY-FORMAT property and format styles?
- Sending SMTP mail
- How would I create my own CBL_CHECK_FILE_EXIST routine?
- Is the isCOBOL 2009 SP1 release intended to deploy mainframe applications over the cloud? Or is it an integration mechanism for bringing in cloud data and apps?
- How do I select 11x17 paper size using WIN$PRINTER?
- Where can I learn more about Classpath, the Java class loader, JDK tools and utilities?
- What are the key technical advantages of isCOBOL?
- Why do I get the error message "Native call not found" and how do I fix the problem?
- Why do I get the error java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/iscobol/rts_n/StopRunException?
- Does isCOBOL run on Linux on System z?
- Can Veryant recommend a good Web site to find 3rd party JavaBeans?
- I still get the error : "Missing License: The license key is missing, invalid or has expired!" I can't figure out why
- What compile option should I use for ICOBOL compatibility?
- How do I compile fixed (ANSI) format source that COPYs terminal format source or vice versa?
- Can isCOBOL access a DLL or .so that is in a JAR file?
- Can I use directory paths in CALL names?
- How do I configure file locations with environment variables?
- What algorithm does isCOBOL use to load framework properties (runtime config variables)?
- Is your runtime library backward compatible?
- How can I make my isCOBOL program to be called instead of a C routine when both have the same name?
- How do I set iscobol.file.index.FileName with variable file name assignments?
- What is the easiest and/or best way to convert a legacy text-based user interface to a web front end?
- Does isCOBOL APS run on z/OS?
- How do I specify which file status codes I want to use?
- Is isCOBOL backward compatible?
- Is there any equivalent to COPY RESOURCE?
- Does isCOBOL support C$REDIRECT?
- Why do I get the error message “java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ### in java.library.path?
- How do I write my own replacement for a C$ library routine?
- What is the best way to profile an isCOBOL program?
- What should I use for USAGE HANDLE items instead of NULL?
- How can I avoid the "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" error?
- Can you derive isCOBOL object classes from Java and vice versa?
- Can the file system (iscobol.file.index) be set programmatically?
- How can I tell what changes were made in the isCOBOL latest update?
- Is there any way to use isCOBOL with SCO 5.0.6 (JDK 1.3)?
- I've heard there is a problem passing pointers to C functions. What is it?
- How can I monitor a jvm started on a remote computer box?
- How do I get more information when I get java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException?
- Does isCOBOL support Crystal Reports or other Report Writers?
- How do I suppress multiple reserved words with the -rw compiler option?
- Why do I get the error message "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException" ?
- Why do I get the error message "java.lang.NullPointerException" ?
- Can I call an RMCobol program passing parameters to it?
- What does mean the error NO X11 DISPLAY?
- How can I encode a URL String?
- What can I use to perform an email validation during entry-field accept?
- Working with sequential files on Pipes
- How do I resolve the error "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" or "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException"?
- Does isCOBOL support C$XML or other XML interfaces?
- Is there any way to direct the output from the "Print Screen" keyboard key directly to a printer?
- Why do I get the error "Could not load the main class" ?
- Did you know isCOBOL IDE allows you to easily understand how to invoke a method in a Java Class?
- Did you know you could set a background image from isCOBOL IDE's painter?
- Did you know that in a string you can replace a text with a new one with a different length by using the C$REPLACE_ALL routine?
- Did you know how to write custom information inside isCOBOL log file?
- How to programmatically set the attributes for PDFs?
- How can I read data correctly from a line-sequential file that has a different encoding from the one used by isCOBOL?
- Did you know you can encrypt the communication with the isCOBOL Server?
- GIT Server (Linux) - Install and Configuration
- Did you know these two ways of finding out the working directory in use?
- Activating and Check the isCOBOL License
- How to search by key with case insensitive on ISAM files
- How can I read a data written with a different encoding?
- How do I point my installed isCOBOL to a different Java location?
- May I create my own type definitions and reuse them?
- How can I use the Call/Cancel custom HOOK program to get the start and end time of every CALLed program?
- How can I tell if my application is running in the WebClient environment or another environment?
- How can I generate QR codes from COBOL?
- Can I define one or more data items based on the definition of another one?
- How can you wait for several threads to finish?